Federal Land Patents
1850 Federal Census
History of Blooming
Tour of Historic Homes and Places
Blooming Grove Cemetery
Some Eastside Madison street names
City of Monona street names
City of Monona street names
If you have information on the origin of Monona street names please contact the Historic Blooming Grove Historical Society, P.O. Box 6704 Monona WI 53716 or use email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Named for the Herman Anthony family, who built one of the early homes in the area and owned most of the property on the block. The Anthonys built a new home on Midmoor Road in the late 1960s and the old home was moved to a farm near Marshall, to make room for several apartment complexes.
Birch Haven Circle
Named to honor Albert E. Brandt, the municipal attorney for the Village of Monona, and other towns. He was instrumental in helping Monona retain its autonomy when Madison annexation threatened; also helped with the formation of the Monona Grove school district. Village president from 1951 to 1953.
Once the main highway through the area, it was the only one with a bridge across the Yahara Rover. It became a local street after Highways 12 & 18 were built as the South Beltline in 1930-31.
Broadway, East and West
named in 1949 when the then-new highway was built to replace the Femrite Road - Bridge Road route, which had served until then as Highway 12.
Clear Spring Court
This short street goes past the south end of Waterman park where the Tonyawatha Spring was once known for its 'clear spring water'.
This street ends at the lake near Winnequah Road where there are/were many springs of cold water feeding into the lake.
named for the man-made cove nearby, off Squaw Bay.
Dean Ave., West
Named for Nathaniel W. Dean who owned a 508 acre farm in the area. His house still stands at 4718 Monona Drive. He was a Madison businessman and U.W. Regent. He donated land for the Blooming Grove Cemetery on Pflaum Road and for the Blooming Grove Town Hall which located at the corner of Monona Drive and West Dean Ave. from 1871 to 1967.
East Gate Road
Named for the bird
Named for the Femrite family (Jens, Clarence & Helmer) who had farms along the road. It was once a part of Highway 51
Frost Woods Road
runs through the middle of the area known as Frost's Woods. R.D. Frost was an early farmer in the area and was Town Chairman for more than 10 terms. His home was near the corner of Frost Woods Road and Monona Drive, about where Angelo's (formerly known as the Colonial Inn) now stands.
This street encircled a large green area which served as a ÒlawnÓ and playground for three large apartment complexes, just off Owen Road near Monona Drive. The street and apartment complexes have been removed as of 2008.
for Wallace Loftsgordon who developed the area.
location of 1953 Parade of Homes
Henuah is a Winnebago Indian word meaning Òfirst born girlÓ, and Indian building tradesman was working on one of the house on Henuah Circle on the day hen his first daughter was born.
This street serves a number of small industries and businesses which are located in ÒIndustrial ParkÓ; south of Wet Broadway. Most of this area was developed in the 1960s with promotional help from the Industrial Development Commission.
This street is parallel to the part of the Yahara River which is used by boats to get to Lake Waubesa from Lake Monona (Squaw Bay) an nterlake waterway. There are houses on only one side of this street, all fronting on the water.
Part of a residential area developed by Leif Sethne; it is named for his son, Jeffrey.
named for Mrs. John T. Adams, wife of former owner of area property.
Name changed in 1974 to Metropolitan Drive, Named for Kathryn Engel, Town of Blooming Grove Clerk and Village of Monona Clerk.
part of a residential area developed by Lief Sethne; his daughter's name was Kristi.
for Wallace Loftsgordon who developed the area
named for J.M. Mathys, Monona Village president from April 1953- Nov. 1953. He died in office.
William Woodward, an attorney, owned the property and the plat was named for his law firm: Woodward and May in 1939. (Arthur May)
named for John C. McKenna Sr and his sons John Jr. & Donald who developed much of Monona.
A ÒmesaÓ is a high flat area with steep, descending hills around it. This describes the Mesa Road area.
This street was given its name in 1975 when it was extended to the Metropolitan Bank Building. Previous to that it was called Katheryn Street and served the For Lakes Yacht Club and Inland Boat Works, where it dead-ended.
named because it parallels Lake Monona
a street one block long where, for just a short distance, you can catch a glimpse of Lake Monona as you pass.
believed to be named for the famous Moygara Castle in Scotland
for the Southwest Indian tribe.
for the Massachusetts Indian tribe
George Nichols was a pioneer farmer who owned the property between Dean Ave. and Nichols Road, later sold that and bought property south of Nichols Road. First Nichols School property was donated by him.
Cree Indian word ?
this street was cut through and round a grove of oak trees
This street was an ÒoutlookÓ on the east end of Lake Monona, as it runs from Shore Acres Road to the water's edge.
Ray Owen was an early settler on the banks of Squaw Bay. He was a surveyor of much of the Frost Woods area and a person who did much to establish Monona as a village. Owen Road begins at Monona Drive and ends at ÒBungalowenÓ the family home at 5805 Winnequah road.
Begins at the Panther Indian mound at the south end of McKenna Road, travels past the bird mound and over two ills to Monona Drive. Name suggested by Ray Owen.
between Shore Acres Road and Winnequah Road, near the small parkway to the lake on which the old cement spring pagoda stood
John Pflaum Sr. and his two sons Peter & John Jr. all farmed adjacent farms in the Pflum-Vondron Road area
Pheasant Hill Road
when this area was farmland, many pheasants lived and nested on the hillside where there was tall grass and brush to give them cover.
Pirate Island Road
When Pearl & Robert Kau bought the land which is Pirate Island, the road was called Harker Court. Harker was the name of the person who did the dredging to create the island. The Kaus didn't think that Harder was a very attractive name, and since they wanted to market their apartment units the wanted a name with more market appeal. They selected Pirate Island. At the time there was a small cafˇ on the island called ÒPirate's Cafˇ.Ó
Named for M. C. Molgaard who lived at 3508 Tonyawatha. He was active in Wisconsin's Progressive Party. He originally lived at 3501Progressive Avenue before it became a Lane !
a Powhatan Indian woman who is said to have prevented the execution of Captain John Smith at Jamestown, now in Virginia.
for developer Roy Gannon
This street was constructed after Roselawn Cemetery (aka Roselawn Memorial Park) had been established. Many roses bordered the cemetery at one time; the entire cemetery looks like a lawn because there are no upright grave markers permited.
Ed Rothman was one of the early village presidents
from 1942- 44 and again from 1947-51.
for the Royal Airport which was located where SouthTowne is today.
St. Teresa Terrace
The Schluters were a pioneer family in the area. Henry Schluter's farm house is still standing at 5310 Schluter Road.
Shore Acres Road
Lief Sethne was a real estate developer in the area.
for the Sioux Indian tribe.
ÒSpringhavenÓ was the name of Òthe beautiful farm on the southeast shore of Lake Monona, owned for many years by Judge Elisha KeyesÓ until just after 1900 when it was divided into tracts for country homes.
for the Indian women who camped in the area
Verne Starry was one of the first Village Board members and later served as Village President (1944-1947).
Harold L. Stone, was one of the first Village Board members (1938- 1942 & 1947-1951)
ÒsylvanÓ means heavily wooded with trees.
for Tecumseh, an Indian chief and member of the Shawnee tribe.
the Thunderbird is a clan name of the Ho-Chunk Indian tribe.
N. J. Tompkins was an early settler in the area and was elected as the first Chairman of the Town of Blooming Grove on April 2, 1850.
pseudo-Indian name said to mean Òhealing watersÓ or maybe a pun on Òtonic waterÓ also the name of a resort that used to be on the road in the 1880s
Valorie was the name of the daughter of Wayne Hoffman, local druggist, who owned and developed the property.
Harry Vogts, owner of the Madison Brass Works on Waubesa Street, developed the area and had a house at the end of Vogts Lane on Tonyawatha Trail
Wallace Loftsgordon who developed the area. He lived at 4412 Wallace Ave.
Justin Waterman was Monona's first Village president serving from 1938 to 1942.
West Gate Road
Winnequah Drive, Trail & Road
combination of Winnegabo and squaw, it passes near Winnequah Point where Abram Wood, the first white man to live in the area with his Indian wife, built the first permanent dwelling.
pun on the family name of Wildhagen who owned the land from 1873 to 1935. Probably also influenced by nearby Fairhaven and Springhaven subdivisions.